Chevron Australia Pty Ltd (“CAPL”) is the operator and a participant in joint ventures related to the Gorgon Project in Western Australia. As operator, CAPL acts on behalf of all joint venture partners, (including “foreign principals”) to influence government processes, decisions and outcomes relating to the Gorgon Project.
CAPL’s general political lobbying activities relate to a range of political or government decisions including, but not limited to,
• Policy decisions such as taxation, climate policy, environmental policy, energy policy, petroleum titles
• Legislative processes, including making written or oral submissions to legislation development processes
• Regulatory decisions
In relation to regulatory decisions, the Gorgon Project is subject to several federal regulatory regimes. As operator, CAPL interacts with federal ministers, ministerial staff, Commonwealth entities, Commonwealth companies, and individuals working on their behalf.
Interactions with these entities and individuals include policy submissions; regulatory applications; compliance reporting; business meetings; telephone meetings; email exchanges; site visits and interaction through industry forums.
Key policy makers and regulators which CAPL interacts with include, but are not limited to,
• National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority, regarding its legislated functions oversighting offshore petroleum exploration and production
• Department of Industry, Innovation and Science regarding its legislated and delegated functions relating to offshore petroleum exploration and production; grant funding; and relating to Australian industry participation
• National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator, regarding the granting and administration of petroleum titles
• The Department of the Environment and Energy, regarding environmental approvals, climate policy, approvals and reporting
• Clean Energy Regulator, regarding approvals, compliance and reporting
• Climate Change Authority
• Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – Australian offices, embassies and consulates
• Australian Taxation Office and related tax and customs entities
• Department of Home Affairs and related entities regarding immigration and maritime security issues
• Industrial relations-related entities
|Description of the arrangement with the foreign principal
CAPL is the operator of joint ventures related to the Gorgon Project. As operator, CAPL acts on behalf of all joint venture partners including “foreign principals”.
JERA Gorgon Pty Ltd holds 0.4170% percent of the joint venture regarding the onshore LNG and domestic gas plants on Barrow Island